A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that gives another person the right to act on your behalf in certain circumstances. It’s as important to your family as your Will.
- A Lasting Power of Attorney comes into force if, for example, you become seriously ill and aren’t able to take decisions for yourself.
- You choose someone you know and trust to look after your financial, legal, health and welfare affairs under legal obligations to act in your best interests.
- A Lasting Power of Attorney makes life easier for your spouse, partner or your children, helping them keep the household running while you’re ill, incapacitated or abroad for a long time.
Who needs a Lasting Power of Attorney?
- Anyone with assets and property – such as a home and savings
- Parents with children
- Adults caring for vulnerable relatives
- Business owners
- UK citizens travelling or living abroad for extended periods
- People over the age of 60
- Active people at risk of injury from their work travel and sports
For more details or to arrange an appointment call us today: 01223 655646 or 07930 197 432
Or visit our contact page to send us an email.
Enduring Power of Attorney
Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) replaced Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) in October 2007.
An Enduring Power of Attorney is still valid if it was made and signed before 1 October 2007. Lasting Powers of Attorney are lengthier and more complex than the old-style Enduring Powers of Attorney. LPAs also cover health and welfare decisions for the client. Safeguards have been introduced in LPAs, including the requirements to nominate someone to certify that you have the mental capacity to make the document and options to nominate others to be notified of registration when this takes place.
We cover Cambridge, Ely, Newmarket, St Ives, St Neots, Huntingdon, Chatteris, March, Saffron Walden, Bury St Edmunds, Haverhill, rural Cambridgeshire, CB and nearby postcodes.
Outside of this area? Contact us and we will put you in touch with your local Just Wills & Legal Services consultant